10 Reasons Why Breastfeeding Rocks!
by Tamara Rettino
1. Breastfeeding is FREE. Yes, that's right ladies, in a world where you have to pay for water, breast milk is one hundred percent free of charge.
2. Breastfeeding provides superior nutrition for your kid. Breast milk cannot be duplicated. It is a live fluid with a perfect balance of vitamins and fats, and it helps fight infection and create immunity to disease in your child.
3.Breastfeeding is easier than bottle feeding. I don't know about you, but if my head weren't screwed on I would lose it. Bottles, rubber nipples, and formula not only get lost, they are a pain in the butt to drag around. Try as you might, you cannot lose your breast. If you breastfeed you won't ever have the pleasure of finding old soured bottles under the seat in your car, and if you plan that impromptu camping trip to the desert you don't have to run by the store or worry about refrigeration.
4. Breastfeeding may give you bigger boobs. Okay, so my 40 D didn't really need the help, but for some of you it may be a plus.
5.Breastfed babies are healthier. This is cool for so many reasons. Less doctor visits, which saves you money and time. Happier babies cuz they aren't feeling cruddy all the time, and less snot smeared on your new black velvet shirt.
6. Breastfeeding is environmentally sound. No cans to throw into landfills. No milk stolen from cows who are grazing on land that could sustain tons more people if it were filled with soy or hemp.
7. Breastfeeding helps make you a good mom. Breastfeeding mothers have high levels of the hormone prolactin. This is sometimes called the "mothering hormone." It accentuates the instinctive caring feelings humans and animals have for their young.
8. Breastfeeding helps keeps you honest. Hey, I'm not assuming anything, cause most teenagers are drug free. But I wasn't. I did every substance in the book until I got pregnant. Breastfeeding helped keep me sober, cuz I knew that I couldn't use or my baby would get sick.
9. Breastfeeding will help you get more sleep. It's much easier to keep your kid in bed with you for at least the first six months to a year, and just roll over and hook her up. Much better than getting up mixing and heating formula, and sitting in a chair to give your baby a bottle. Some moms can actually sleep right through nursings when their babies get old enough to hook themselves up at night.
10. Breastfeeding is a radical, revolutionary act! In Afghanistan a woman was beaten to death for breastfeeding on the street, and even in America mothers are still fighting for their right to breastfeed in public. When you breastfeed your baby you tell corporate America to shove it! You deny them your money, and tell those patriarchal bums that your body is enough to feed your baby! Okay, stepping off of soap box now.
Breastfeeding is a wonderful way to be close to your baby. Only you can provide your child with this very special kind of love.
Tamara Rettino is the single mama of Forest 5, Akasha 3, and Raven Oak 21 months. She lives in Southern California where she is a La Leche League Leader, chilbirth instructor, and freelance writer. When not trying to clean crayon off the walls, Tamara is busy shaking up the neighbors concept of what a mother ought to be.